Thursday, April 16, 2009

A new scarf for spring


A guy with a hole drilled into his neck just can never have too many scarves.

I've written about scarves before. Never fond of scarves before my tracheotomy surgery three months ago, I now wear them whenever I think that my trach may call unnecessary attention to myself.

Sometimes I think that successfully wearing a scarf is no easier for me than learning to walk on stiletto heels would be.

Scarves have a knack for unraveling and even taking flight in the wind. I've gotten scarves caught in my zipper and tangled on my steering wheel. I've ruined one delicate scarf in the laundry –can't explain what I was thinking there– and I own a few scarves that are so beautiful I'm afraid to wear them out in public.

(Since I originally posted this entry this morning, a friend e-mailed this warning to me: "Please remember that Isadora Duncan was strangled when she was riding on the back of her boyfriend’s motorcycle and her scarf got tangled in the wheel." My God, is this true?! If cancer or AIDS don't kill me, one of my scarves just might do me in instead.)

Over the past three months, I have managed to build up quite a collection of scarves, thanks to generous family members and friends.

On Wednesday, my scarf collection expanded yet again.

Last month I participated in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena. The Los Angeles County Affiliate of the Susan G. Komen Foundation has raised more than $7 million to fund breast cancer programs and research over the past 12 years, and I was proud to participate in the event with several co-workers.

When I opened my mailbox yesterday, I found an envelope from the Komen Foundation. In appreciation for the fund-raising I did for the Race for the Cure, the Komen Foundation sent a souvenir magnet and a cool lightweight scarf.

The pattern on the scarf is a touch girly. But it's not like that it will clash with my butch Teamster-like demeanor.

I thought about taking a self-portrait of myself wearing the scarf to post on my blog but I think I need a few more months of recovery under my belt before I start tossing photos of myself on the internet.

Big brother Mike, Laurie G. and Lisa O.: Thank you for the donations you made to the Race for the Cure. I earned this scarf because of you.

By the way, the 14th Annual Komen Los Angeles County Race for the Cure will take place on Sunday, March 14, 2010. Registration opens this fall. Visit the Komen Foundation website for information.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Paul,
    Although I haven't written to tell you, I look forward to your stories every day. You move me and touch me in unexpected ways with your gift of expression and openness (plus you make me laugh and have turned me on to new music!)..I am very grateful to you.
    Don't stop!!
    I'm thinking of you and sending you wishes for healing and renewal every day
    All my best,

    Laurie Goodman

    ReplyDelete