Saturday, August 8, 2009

What's up, Doc?


Sure coulda used my voice this afternoon.

I was driving along Rowena Avenue in Silver Lake when I had to come to stop at an intersection, even though I had a green light.

This guy was crossing Rowena against the red light. But it wasn't just any guy; it was The Walker.

If you spend any time at all in Silver Lake, you probably see The Walker regularly. He's a Silver Lake resident who walks 20 miles each day around the area, and an additional 15 miles each Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday evenings. When he's not walking, he likely doing push-ups (the L.A. Weekly says he does 4,000 per day) or seeing patients in his medical practice.

Usually, The Walker reads a newspaper while he walks. I don't know if this is an omen for the state of print publishing, but today The Walker was yakking on a cell phone, seemingly unaware that his decision to cross the street against the light forced traffic on Rowena to come to a halt.

Don't know what I would have said to The Walker as I waited for him to reach the other side of the street, but I'm sure I would have said something.

I'm giving this dude a new name. From this day forward, he will be known as The Jaywalker.


L.A. People 2009: The Walker - Marc Abrams

No comments:

Post a Comment