Sunday, March 15, 2009

The March of I'ds


Today is the Ides of March, folks. With apologies with Shakespeare –People magazine's Sexiest Man Alive in 1590– I'm posting my Third Annual "March of I'ds."

  • I'd have a rough time coping if I didn't have friends and family members supporting me each step of the way and telling me that I can beat cancer.

  • I'd like to know how the guy who got the first human tongue transplant back in 2003 is doing these days.

  • I'd pay a much higher co-pay than I am charged now at Kaiser for the high quality of care I get there.

  • I'd pitch a brilliant idea for a new theme park to the president and CEO of Disney if I ever got two minutes in an elevator with him.

  • I'd go batty if I couldn't blog to compensate for not having a speaking voice.

  • I'd snap up as many tickets to Michael Jackson's upcoming 50 shows in London as I could afford if the King of Pop would just let me pick the songs he would perform.

  • I'd like you to keep this a secret, but every day I dial my number at the office just to hear the voice mail greeting and remind myself how I used to sound.

  • I'd pay three bucks a day for The Los Angeles Times if that would keep more of its employees from being laid off.

  • I'd like to believe that Monkee Peter Tork's voice will be as strong as ever when he performs with his Shoe Suede Blues band in Cerritos in October.

  • I'd like to think that when this cancer business ends happily for me, that I somehow will be a better person for having gone through it.

  • I'd love to see Jon Stewart interview Octo-Mom.

  • I'd weigh 400 pounds today if food fantasies were actual calories.

  • I'd like to believe that all of the rock stars I idolize are all upstanding human beings but two books I've just read have shown me that a few of them are real jerks.

  • I'd like to pick up my cycling routine right where I left off when I stopped riding, but when I recover I have a feeling I'm going to need training wheels.

  • I'd be less prepared to deal with cancer and AIDS if I didn't have the example of my late Mom's incredible strength and courage to inspire me.

–––

Thank you, Laurie Goodman, for your donation to The Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure, and for continuing to pass on the spirit and mission of your friend Jim Slotnick to new generations of medical providers.

The Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure benefiting breast cancer services, awareness and research, takes place today.

Susan G. Komen for the Cure is the only breast cancer organization where 75 percent of the net proceeds raised by the Los Angeles County Affiliate stay in the L.A. community. Nearly $6 million has been raised in the past 11 years to local organizations providing breast cancer services. One-quarter of the net funds raised support the Susan G. Komen for the Cure National Grant Program.

Visit my Race for the Cure page or join me at the Rose Bowl today. If you can't make it for the event's beginning, come down anyhow to greet walkers and runners when we return.

Click Here to Donate

2 comments:

  1. Here are some of my I'ds ...

    I'd spend more time with my brother who is showing amazing strength for what he is going through.

    I'd take my brother to Mickey's house when he gets stronger and go ride "Its a Small World" because its all the small things that make life so special.

    I'd remember to thank GOD everyday for the things that I am fortunate to have .. my health and my family, and a brother that I called Bozo all his life and I hope he forgives me for it!!

    Mike .. the brother

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mike

    The guy who created Bozo the Clown died on Friday. So you don't have to send a royalty check to him every time you call me that.

    Thanks for the donation for today's Komen Race for the Cure. There was a huge turnout and I hope that they meet their $1 million goal.

    Along the route I walked behind a man pushing a baby stroller. On his back was a photo of him with a young woman, and these words: "My Sister –Only 35." I don't know if that man's sister is still living or if she has passed on, but I thought to myself how lucky I am to have a supportive brother, too.

    Love
    Paul

    ReplyDelete