Monday, November 16, 2009

Where's a good editor when you need one?


Boy, am I red-faced tonight. And I'm not talking about the various shades of red below my lip and around my chin where blood continues to ooze from one of the craters that Dr. B1 made when sampling tissue for biopsies almost two weeks ago.

No, I'm red-faced because I caught myself in a major boo-boo.

Throughout the year, my trach and my G-tube have enjoyed co-star status on this blog, popping up at times I want to give you an idea of what it's like to live with a hole in one's neck and a rubber tube punched into my belly.

"Trach" rhymes with "snake" and is short for tracheotomy.

Or so I would have you believe.

Well, tonight I was scrubbing my trach clean of all of the gunk that builds up inside it when I realized I should probably spare myself all of the elbow grease and just soak it for a day or two. And I reached for a fresh trach to wear in the meantime.

Imagine my surprise when I read the packaging and saw that the proper name for a trach is "tracheostomy," not "tracheotomy."

I know that I've been just one consonant short of having the name right, but wrong is wrong no matter how you cut it.

Over the next few days I'll be going backward in time, and correcting all of the instances where I've screwed up the name. But I thought I better come clean with all of you first.

Just goes to show you: You really put your neck on the line when you blog without a safety net.

2 comments:

  1. ok,a boo-boo, not a major one, a boo-boo none the less. You can be forgiven this one time, as long as this does not continue, and you make a conscious effort to stay correct. You also know that none of us on the receiving end of your TP info obviously did not know the difference. I think this may clear you of any serious wrong doing. Hang in there Buddy, prayin' for ya Aunt Mary Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    Disease.com is currently in the progress of choosing blogs to receive recognition from Disease.com as Top Blogs. This award is not meant to be anything other than a recongnition that your blog gives information about tactics that directly or in directly raise health awareness and prevent the transmition of Disease. Simply place the award banner code on your site and your blog will be listed as a Top Blog on Disease.com. Disease.com is a Private Global Health Watch Group. Whose goal is to promote healthy living though the spread of information globally. Thank you for your dedication to your blog. Please email me back with subject line of your URl for the award banner code. This is to avoid spam and to make sure YOU get the Award.

    Thank you,
    Natasha

    ReplyDelete